Thursday, September 27, 2012

Where's the Beach?

More beach house art.  I told you I was filling this house with new art.  Well at least seeing what I could do in 1 week.

When searching for artwork and ideas for the beach house I found this image on Pinterest, but originally from here:

I love the blues, love the letters (I'm from the south, we'll put letters or a monogram on anything that stays still long enough), and the worn wood look.  I wasn't really sure how to recreate it without buying anything.  My goal has been big impact low cost.  Isn't everybodys?

I got the letters at Michaels ($1.49ea) They were the cheapest letters they had.  I was using my coupon for the canvases and they don't let you use more than 1.  Boo.

I had a piece of 1/4" luan board and blue paint.  I wanted to make it small so that it could fit almost anywhere in the house.  Even above a door jam or window.

                                                  Here is where I started (what I had):

 I cut the wood (yup, used the jig saw mom!) and sanded down the rough edges.  Gave it a quick coat of Sherwin-Williams Blue Reef (trying not to add too many different shades of "sea")  Same color I used on the calendar canvases.
                                                         Primed & painted the letters:

Then I used some brown Sherwin-Williams paint to age/distress the letters and arrow.
                                                Hot glued the letters on and...

Stapled some twine to the back to hang it from.  Easy peasy $7.50.  You couldn't buy this sign for anywhere near $30 in a gift store at the beach!  I still have 2 sets of art to finish...mom comes today for the pick up!

Linking up with Coastal Charm , A2Z,  Savvy Southern Style, The Thrifty HomeHouse of Hepworths, & Tatertots & Jello

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute project. I'm glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Stick around, I'll try to keep you entertained ;)

    ReplyDelete